An Opportunity for Canadian Leadership: Invest Boldly in the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria
“The Global Fund not only saved my life, it empowered me to fight for the rights of all whose voices are overshadowed.” – Erika Castellanos, Global Fund Advocates Network (GFAN)
Canada must Step Up the Fight
Our campaign for the replenishment of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria has been building and we’re now at a crucial point. We need to push hard throughout March and April to ensure that Canada’s pledge to the Global Fund meets the global need. That means we’re asking the Canadian Government to commit $1 billion (CAD) to the Global Fund’s Sixth Replenishment. The time is now – let’s ensure Canada commits to saving millions of lives around the world by investing in the Global Fund!
Commitment to save millions of lives
Few investments are as impactful as the Global Fund when it comes to saving lives, preventing infections and creating strong and resilient health systems. We are now at a critical moment, one that calls for a bold pledge towards the Global Fund’s Sixth Replenishment – anything less may not be enough to prevent us from sliding back and losing the massive progress we’ve made so far towards ending these preventable diseases.
In the early 2000s the world was focused on making a dent in the three epidemics of AIDS, TB, and malaria that ravaged the globe. Today ending these epidemics is realistically within our reach. But only if we step up the fight! Things like drug resistance in tuberculosis (TB), HIV and in the insecticide-treated nets used against malaria are setting us back. The reality that thousands of people die each day due to these preventable and treatable diseases is unacceptable.
The Global Fund itself has set a minimum goal of $14 billion (USD) for this replenishment. However, it’s the minimum required to maintain current programming, and does not allow for scaled-up responses to the epidemics. It represents the floor, not the ceiling. A strong commitment from Canada will help to ensure the Global Fund reaches their $14 billion goal, and hopefully even surpass it. That’s why we’re asking the Canadian Government to commit $1 billion (CAD) towards the Global Fund.
For more about information and rationale behind the $1 billion ask, make sure to read our call for a bold Canadian investment in the Global Fund.
THE TIME TO TAKE ACTION IS NOW!
Let’s take action and ensure that the Canadian government hears us! Why? Because when it comes down to deciding on how much money to commit, they want to ensure they are acting on what matters to Canadians. By sharing your voice and passion for helping the world’s most vulnerable, you can be a part of Canada’s commitment to the eradication of these preventable diseases – once and for all!
Latest campaign intel:
- Ireland and Luxembourg are the first two countries to announce their pledges!
- Ireland has pledged at least a 50% increase, which will amount to at least €45 million.
- Luxembourg announced a pledge of €9 million (an 11% increase from their last pledge).
- MP Engagement to date by citizen advocates and staff:
- 4 meetings with NDP MPs: Marjolaine Boutin-Sweet, Murray Rankin, Randall Garrison and Nathan Cullen
- 4 meetings with Conservative MPs Ziad Aboultaif, Stephanie Kusie, Mike Lake, and John Brassard
- 3 meetings with Liberal MPs Svend Spengemann, Rob Oliphant, and Chandra Arya
- Emails and tweets have been sent to a number of MPs from all three major parties
- And many more actions are in the works! Did we miss your action? Make sure to track your actions with your group leader or Mélissa!